Vegan Carrot Cake
This Vegan Carrot Cake is an option with dietary requirements to enjoy a tasty dessert. This recipe is flexible to adjustment but will always be a great option.
· Flaxseed egg: 3 Tbsp flaxseed meal, 7 ½ Tbsp water
· 1/3 cup coconut oil (extra for greasing)
· 1/4 cup maple syrup
· 1 scant cup unsweetened applesauce
· 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
· 1/4 cup cane sugar
· 3/4 tsp sea salt
· 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
· 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· 3/4 plain unsweetened almond milk
· 1 1 /2 cups loosely packed peeled and grated carrot
· 1 1/2 cups almond meal
· 1 1/2 cups white spelt flour
· Optional: 3/4 cup chopped raw walnuts (extra walnuts for decoration)
· 1/2 cup vegan butter
· 225g vegan cream cheese
· 3 – 4 cups sifted organic icing sugar
· 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease two deep 20cm-round cake pans with coconut oil and dust with gluten-free flour. Shake our excess flour.
2. Make flaxseed egg in a large mixing bowl by combining flax seed meal with water and stir to combine. Let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes or until it has an egg-like consistency. Add oil and maple syrup to the flaxseed eggs and whisk to combine.
3. Mix into the flaxseed egg mixture applesauce, sugars, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir in almond milk then add grated carrot. Then stir in almond meal and flour.
4. The batter should be thick and pourable. Add extra flour if too runny or almond milk if too dry to get the right consistency. Stir in chopped walnuts.
5. Divide batter evenly among cake pans. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and leave the cake in the tin for 15 minutes.
6. Run a knife around the edges of the cakes and carefully invert them onto cooling racks and leave to cool completely. You can speed up the process by putting the cakes into the fridge.
This recipe serves up to 10