Crohn’s and Colitis Awareness Month Cupcakes
You only need one bowl and less than 10 minutes to whip up these tasty chocolate cupcakes.
Be sure to top them off with purple buttercream frosting and a Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Month flag to celebrate World IBD Day on Friday 19 May.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups water
- ¾ vegetable oil
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Purple Buttercream Frosting:
- 110g butter, softened
- 230g icing sugar
- 2 tbs milk
- Red and blue food colouring
25 minutes (plus cooling time)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake patties
- Stir the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa in a large bowl
- Add the water, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla. Mix until smooth
- Pour the batter into the cupcake patties and place in the oven for 25 minutes
- Once your cupcakes are cooked, set aside to cool completely
- While your cupcakes are cooling, make the buttercream frosting. Place the butter in a bowl and beat until fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar, beating until well combined. Gradually beat in the milk.
- In a separate small bowl, combine 3 drops of red colour with 1 drop of blue to make purple. You can add a second drop of blue if it looks too pale.
- Gently mix the purple dye through your frosting. Use either a piping bag or a small plastic bag with the corner cut out to pipe your frosting onto your cupcakes
- Top with a Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Month flag and enjoy with friends and family!