Australia has gone Matildas mad. Not surprisingly the team relies on a healthy diet to aid performance – prepared by Brazilian chef Vini Capovilla. In a recent interview, Vini said avocado and berries are a hit with the team, and love “Mexican night”.
Why not try this quick and easy salsa recipe from CCA supporter Tamzen while you watch the match.
Tamzen says “I love this home-made salsa because I find that store-bought salsa contains so many preservatives that they often don’t digest as well. This is simple recipe can be easily altered to suit taste and intolerance.”
Easy Healthy Salsa
Makes large bowl to share or two large serves of nacho toppings
- ½ brown onion
- 1 green capsicum (medium sized)
- 1 mild chili
- 400g diced tinned organic tomatoes
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 small tub of tomato paste (140g)
- 1 avocado
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
As always: if any of these ingredients are flare foods for you, please omit them or replace them with an alternative item.
2 (or 1 large bowl)
- Preheat frying pan to low-medium heat with drizzle of olive oil
- Dice onion, capsicum and chili, crush garlic, and mix with diced tomatoes and tomato paste in large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture into pan, leave to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer until capsicum and onion are semi-softened. Depending on your own taste, I personally like my capsicum a little crunchy.
- Leave to cool, then stir in diced avocado to serve.
Serve with your choice of chips or crackers. Or top your nachos with it, with plenty of cheese and sour cream!