Homemade ramen noodle soup
· 2 eggs (optional)
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tablespoon grated ginger
· 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
· 100g shiitake mushrooms
· 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
· 400g packaged ramen noodles
· 3 cups spinach
· 1 carrot grated
· 2 tablespoons chopped chives or shallots (optional)
Note: You can add or remove any vegetables to customise this meal to meet your needs. You can also add protein in the form of chicken, meat, seafood, or tofu.
This recipe serves up to 4
1. Place eggs (if using) in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove pan from the heat and cover with a lid, to sit for 8-10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. Peel and halve eggs then set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot, adding the garlic and ginger, stirring frequently for 2 minutes until fragrant.
3. Add the chicken broth, mushrooms, soy sauce and 3 cups of water. Stir well and increase the heat until boiling. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer gently for approximately 10 minutes.
4. Gently loosen the noodles and add them to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add in spinach, carrot and chives/shallots, allow to cook for a further 2 minutes.
6. Serve in large ceramic soup bowls, top with eggs if desired